Scarface: At a School Near You (Video)

School plays are nice, aren’t they?

Memories are made of seeing Little Johnny in a sheep costume stumbling over his lines.

Not quite for everyone it seems. A group of parents and teachers thought it would be a good idea to let the little darlings act out some infamous scenes from Scarface.

If you’re reading this by email or through your RSS and can’t see the embedded video, please click here to view it.

The jury is out as to whether this is a real school play or a publicity stunt for something as yet undisclosed.

But nevertheless, Kudos to the scriptwriter for disguising the swear words and popcorning the cocaine, the children I’m sure don’t have a clue (ahem).

The kids are cute, enjoying themselves and they’ve rehearsed their parts well – but although their dedication really does stand out in this clip, publicity stunt or not, this is just disturbing on so many levels.

If it is an actual play, I wonder what kind of responsibility the school feels it has over the kids who are within its sphere of influence?

What do you think? Harmless fun or disturbing?

~

About Reeta Luthra

14 Responses to “Scarface: At a School Near You (Video)”

Read below or add a comment...

1. My perspective is a little different than some because I have seen young people make amazingly poor choices which have a lifetime of consequences.

I don’t believe in sheltering children from everything bad in the world because in the end, that may lead to rebellion. On the other hand, when there is a wealth of good choices out there, I think the school can choose to use materials that don’t make light of serious problems.

In the US, the popular DARE program (Drug Awareness and Resistance Education) has been cited by both experts and young adults as one of the reasons they tried drugs. The risk taking factor that so many young people don’t develop until much later leads them to want to try the forbidden substances or acts.
    .-= Julie Walraven | Resume Services´s last blog ..Over-The-Top Customer Service! =-.

2. I have watched controversial movies with my children when they were young. It caused deep discussions that I feel were incredibly valuable for them. I tend to get passionately upset by some of what I see on television. I use it to connect and communicate with my kids.

Having said that …. this really disturbs me. Plays are such a powerful learning platform. Why would you want to teach kids this? It makes my skin crawl! My kids plays through out school, have been humorous or historical with a positive message. In my community we want to offer kids the chance to step into a character and feel empowered by it. I think this community has given up.

Support childish behavior. Happy kids make a brighter future.

Many blessings,
    Carrie
    .-= Carrie Tucker´s last blog ..Concerned About Paxil Side Effects? =-.

3. Reeta Luthra says:

Hi Julie, Aloha Carrie!

The forbidden tends to be attractive to children – and adults too! – so you’re right, it’s important to not shelter them completely.

Apparently Mashable “outed” this as a fake video. It was produced by a company who wanted to demonstrate the viral power of videos. The children are apparently professional actors.

It’s disturbing that the producers – grown adults – haven’t given a thought to the wider meanings inherent in this, the trivialising of gun crime and the creep into young minds of the acceptance of violence.

Fine, there’s marketing, there’s money, there’s success – but surely not at the expense of getting children to act out stuff that’s beyond their understanding.

Should be thankful there was no sexual violence in Scarface or who knows what else the “producers” would have put in.

4. Yael Brisker says:

There’s something about violence that attracts kids, I’m not sure why, be it guns or swords, and particularly boys love acting it out….as I said to my Mom the other day, when my son chose to dress up as a Guerilla fighter for a costume party, even tho’ I didn’t like it either, I prefer he acts it out than becomes one! That make sense?

5. Reeta Luthra says:

I watched “Buddha Collapsed Out of Shame” the other day. It’s an incredibly moving story about a little 6 year old Afghan girl who wants to go to school.

She manages to sell eggs to buy a notebook and not having enough money for a pencil, she takes her Mum’s lipstick and makes her way to school. On her way she encounters young boys who play “wargames” on her based on what they have seen going on around them (Taliban/Americans).

They dig a hole and tell her it’s her grave, kidnap her and hold her in a cave with other girls they’ve already captured, gather rocks and prepare her for being stoned… In the end, she has to pretend to die in order to be left alone.

I know kids act out war and fighting – because they have such rich imaginations, I think if they are left to their devices without guidance into what is right/wrong, reality & fiction become blurred and they don’t realise the consequences of what they are doing.

I want to know what the parents of the 23 boys who abused this girl were thinking http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8598136.stm – they were all 6 years old.

6. Yael Brisker says:

Hey Reetha
    As you can imagine, or maybe not because we don’t really know each other, I don’t condone violence, of any kind, I didn’t see the links you gave because I just can’t at the moment, what’s important to me to say is I totally and utterly agree with you that children with no humane guidance or supervision left to their own can be so so cruel. This is partly why I home-schooled until my kids were 6 and that is why they don’t go to the public education system and I work from the home to be as close as I can. And still despite my efforts the world has a way of creeping in through films etc. I don’t know what to say…as parents we can only do the best we can and have compassion for all those souls who as Jesus put it, I think : ” Forgive them father …they know not what they do…” that’s coming from a Jew (-: Peace
    .-= Yael Brisker´s last blog ..Systems and Structures- why they’re good for you (as I’m finding out) =-.

7. Sharon Mahoney says:

I’m with everyone else who find this video disturbing. It doesn’t matter if it is a hoax or real, it’s a shocking exploitation of children for entertainment.

I was a wild child; my parents were divorced, had the guilts and it was easy to play them off against each other. I did a lot of stupid things that I won’t go into here and my parents did nothing except blame each other. When they finally decided I needed disipline it was too late as I was well into boys, cigs, pot, booze and even at 12 I was out all night skipping school, the works. Things happened and I came to my senses turned my life around and my proudest day was when I graduated with a 2.1 in Physics.

I watch my daughters like a hawk and I explain the things they see on tv as best I can. They’re into Hannah Montana but even that is too old for them. Television is ruining children, they’re exposed to too much that doesn’t gel with what I want to teach them. I don’t want to ban tv but I struggle hard with how to introduce them to concepts that television producers seem intent on ramming down their throats from an early age. Is this common??

Thanks you, I enjoy reading this blog very much.

8. Reeta Luthra says:

@Yael – Hi Yael, I read and love your blog and from everything I know about you, it’s obvious you don’t condone violence and that you make a lot of time for your children! :-)

@Sharon – Thanks so much for reading and for sharing your story Sharon and congratulations on your degree!

I think a lot of parents share your struggle. I’ve heard other parents say the same about Hannah Montana! I’ve never seen the show but personally speaking, I am not overly enamoured with what they show on telly either.

Like the other ladies who’ve commented have said, getting to know the parents of your children’s friends and also creating an environment where you can have open discussions with your child (in their language, at their level) goes a long way towards creating basic values. And should they subsequently stray to explore what friends are doing, it leaves the door open for them to come back.

9. Yes!

To all of the above. No matter what your kids soak up from the crazy world, keeping an open conversation going is key. When they can talk to you about anything …. everything is on the table. Now that makes parenting a whole lot easier!

Many blessings,
    Carrie
    .-= Carrie Tucker´s last blog ..Before You Drug Yourself, Do You Research Prescription Drug Information? =-.

10. yael brisker says:

Hey Carrie
    Totally agree with your comment, my children tell me alot of stuff that goes on and I try to keep that conversation going.Thanks for that reminder…

Trackbacks

1. RT @ReetaLuthra: Is this harmless fun or seriously disturbing? http://bit.ly/97MnRa (today's post) —> I vote disturbing

2. Egbert Sukop says:

Creepy! RT @ReetaLuthra: Scarface – as a school play??? What do you think, harmless fun or disturbing? http://bit.ly/97MnRa – today's post

3. @pigtailpals Melissa, I thought of you when I saw this. Regardless of whether or not this is a hoax, it's so wrong! http://bit.ly/97MnRa

4. School Play, "Viral" video, or just good old child exploitation so producers can have a laugh? http://bit.ly/acyndq (via @TheJobQuest)

Leave A Comment...